Tuesday, August 30, 2011

MIA

Hmmm, these babies turn into toddlers and then into smartasses, huh?

Let's do this together: now that the huge milestones of sixth grade (Connor) and kindergarten and first tooth loss (both Maggie) all have happened, what milestones are next for the wee ones?

You, who have older kids than mine, chime in. Me, who can only guess....

1. First eye-roll at something I say
2. First joke played on me
3. First time I'm made fun of
4. First time I'm shown how to do something I can't figure out
5. First joke shared

I think #1 has happened, and they've tried #3, but I don't think it counts when I show them the ol' 'What's that on your chest, they look down and I run my finger up their face' trick and they immediately do it back to me.

Surprise is the key, kids.

Of course #5 has been attempted as well, but I'm not counting:

"Knock knock"
"Who's there?"
"Banana"
"Banana who?"
"Banana in your butt!"

Nor do I count it the fifth time it's used.

We almost got caught shirking our Tooth Fairy duties BTW. Maggie was so excited to get the world's loosest tooth out that she let Carrie show her how folks sometimes just go ahead and pull that thing out. She woke me up extremely excited that it came out one day last week, and handed me what appeared to be a chip off a tooth. It was in fact, the tooth.

They look so much bigger when they're attached to gums.

Anyway, I awoke the next night about 2 am, to some strange noise. Maybe that's what the Tooth Fairy does, wakes your forgetful ass up to do the right thing by knocking something over. I woke up Carrie to ask if she had put a dollar underneath Maggie's pillow or did we use the Tooth Fairy pillow we have for some reason that has its own little pocket and hangs from a doorknob?

She had done neither, but suggested an envelope to hold a dollar, then returned to Lala Land. Now here's a problem with folks using debit and credit cards so much these days--we rarely carry cash. Sucks for homeless folks, no?

Well, luckily, Carrie has a social life, and that includes needing cash for her and her friends' ventures. Her purse is like a waitress's, with cash hidden in all the folds and pockets and at the bottom. I found a buck, but thought it would be weird for a fairy to use an envelope.

Then, I had an idea. What if I wrote some weird shapes on the envelope, and called it fairy writing, and that the fairy letters spelled out Margaret? It was fun making up my own mini alphabet. Stuck it under her pillow and went back to bed.

She still believes in Santa and the Tooth Fairy, and will now be translating the Tooth Fairy Dictionary into English.


No comments:

Post a Comment