Monday, March 15, 2010

Bob Seger

Carrie surprised me tonight by getting our favorite babystitter on last-minute notice, and we went to see Ralph Covert at Two Brothers Brewery in Warrenville.

Ralph was the leader of the locally-legendary Bad Examples in the 1990s, and then got really famous by doing children's music, most noticeably on the Disney Channel. Folks around here love him because he'd do well-attended shows at the Morton Arboretum. Our kids loved him, and a lot of his songs stick in our heads as parents.

Carrie sees him every once in awhile at Whole Foods, shopping, and he will be at the Borders in Danada March 25 at 11 am during their regular storytime, for a few songs and probably a CD launch. Anyway, at Two Brothers he was solo acoustic, and his first number was Not Dead Yet, the Bad Examples' best-known song.

That surprised me, and since I didn't know any other Bad Example songs, I wanted to then hear "I Wanna be a Puppy Dog," "Dinosaur Rumble," "Surfin' In My Imagination," and what is more appropriate for a brewery crowd, "Peggy's Pie Parlor Polka."

Have you listened to the words to that last song? "When I wanna a piece of pie, I polka down to Peggy's, I know I'm a very hungry guy, so I say 'May I please have a slice...."; "....if you want pie of any kind, polka down to Peggy's Pie Parlor...."; "...and in the sun or in the rain, I do the Peggy's Pie Parlor Polka."

You see it, right? Do I have to spell it out for ya?

Peggy's Pie Parlor=The Chicken Ranch. Pie Parlor Polka=The Horizontal Bop.

If you're still not with me here, "I love Peggy and she loves me, at least she gives me pie to eat."

Are you horny now? Or hungry?

No comments:

Post a Comment